Tag: quo

  • Alito extends reprieve for abortion pill access, maintaining status quo for 2 more days

    Alito extends reprieve for abortion pill access, maintaining status quo for 2 more days

    [ad_1]

    supreme court abortion pill 01288

    The justices are mulling whether a ruling from the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals should go into effect or whether it should be blocked while further appeals proceed.

    If allowed to take effect, the 5th Circuit’s April 12 ruling would suspend various policies the FDA has enacted since 2016 to make mifepristone more accessible — including telemedicine prescription, mail delivery, retail pharmacy dispensing and the approval of a generic version of the drug. The ruling also would scale back the approved “on label” use of the drug from 10 weeks of pregnancy to seven weeks — before many patients know they are pregnant.

    The appeals court suggested its ruling was a middle-ground approach because it did not go along with a Texas federal judge’s order to suspend mifepristone’s registration altogether.

    However, the FDA and the two drug companies that make mifepristone told the Supreme Court that the 5th Circuit’s ruling could amount to a nationwide ban of the drug because of lengthy delays in returning to labeling and protocols that have not been required for years.

    Anti-abortion medical groups that are challenging the drug disputed that characterization, saying the ruling would reimpose important safety restrictions on the drug.

    Alito acted single-handedly because he oversees emergency appeals from the 5th Circuit. It is not a clear signal about how Alito or the other justices will ultimately vote on whether to allow the 5th Circuit’s ruling to go into effect.

    [ad_2]
    #Alito #extends #reprieve #abortion #pill #access #maintaining #status #quo #days
    ( With inputs from : www.politico.com )

  • Status Quo Maintained On LAC, Ceasefire Continues On Loc: Army Commander

    Status Quo Maintained On LAC, Ceasefire Continues On Loc: Army Commander

    [ad_1]

    SRINAGAR: During a ‘Veterans Sampark’ rally held in the outskirts of the city, Lieutenant General Upendra Dwivedi, the Northern Army Commander, stated that the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh with China has remained stable in terms of the current situation, while the ceasefire on the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir continues. The General Officer Commanding-in-Chief (GoC) of the Northern Command, which is based in Udhampur, added that discussions have taken place at various levels to maintain the Status Quo with China on the LAC.

    “The ceasefire on the borders is ongoing,” said the Army Commander, who also reported that “our units have successfully thwarted some infiltration attempts.” Regarding the situation in the hinterland, he stated that “it is largely under control,” and that “our CI/CT Grid is fully functioning with civil administration” as they work to “completely halt such incidents.”

    During a rally held to honour ex-servicemen, several commanding officers including the Army Commander, Colonel of JAK RIF and Ladakh Scouts, praised Major General Govardhan Singh Jamwal (Retd), Brig Gurmeet Singh Shan, Director Sainik Welfare Dept, J&K, Brig SK Goswami, Commander 92 Inf Bde, and Brig Rajesh Sharma, Commandant JAK RIF Regimental Center. They acknowledged the sacrifices made by these heroes and stated that “we owe a debt to the heroes of this country, which can never be repaid, but the nation will always express gratitude and respect towards them.”

    The Army Commander spoke about the history of JAK RIF, mentioning that the regiment was established in 1820 under the leadership of Maharaja Gulab Singh and has participated in every war since then, displaying great valor and sacrifice. He also highlighted the bravery of the regiment in the Hussainiwala Operation of 4 JAK RIF and the role it played in conquering areas like Tibet, Gilgit, Yasin, Darel, Hunza, Nagar, Chilas, and Chitral under the leadership of General Zorawar Singh.

    Lt Gen Dwivedi, who took over as the Colonel of the Regiment of Jammu and Kashmir Rifles and Ladakh Scouts in February 2022, explained that the purpose of the rally was to provide support and assistance to ex-servicemen, war veterans, Veer Naris, and next of kins of fallen heroes from Jammu district of Jammu and Kashmir belonging to the Regiment. He added that they aim to solve their problems related to pensions and provide medical help from experts.

    Regarding the Agniveers, Lt Gen Dwivedi stated that he was sure that after being associated with the regiment, some of them would join in an unbreakable bond. The ‘Veterans Sampark Rally’ was attended by over 800 ex-servicemen, war veterans, Veer Naris, and next of kins of fallen heroes from Jammu district of Jammu and Kashmir belonging to the Regiment. (KNO)

     

    [ad_2]
    #Status #Quo #Maintained #LAC #Ceasefire #Continues #Loc #Army #Commander

    ( With inputs from : kashmirlife.net )

  • Status quo maintained on LAC, ceasefire continues on LoC: Army Commander

    Status quo maintained on LAC, ceasefire continues on LoC: Army Commander

    [ad_1]

    Jammu, Mar 21: Northern Army Commander Lieutenant General Upendra Dwivedi Tuesday said that the status quo is maintained with China on the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh while ceasefire continues on the Line of Control (LoC) in J&K.

    Addressing a mega ‘Veterans Sampark’ rally in Digiana areas of city outskirts, the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief (GoC) of Udhampur-based Northern Command, as per news agency—Kashmir News Observer (KNO), said that the Status Quo is maintained with China on LAC amid talks at different levels.

    On LoC, the Army Commander said that the ceasefire continues on the borders, adding, “There have been some infiltration attempts which have been successfully foiled by our units.”

    “The situation in the hinterland is largely under control. Our CI/CT Grid is fully working with civil administration and efforts are on to stop such incidents completely,” he stated.

    The commanding officers also praised the veteran heroes like Major General Govardhan Singh Jamwal, (Retd), Brig Gurmeet Singh Shan, Director Sainik Welfare Dept, J&K, Brig SK Goswami, Commander 92 Inf Bde, Brig Rajesh Sharma, Commandant JAK RIF Regimental Center stating that through this rally, India Army is honouring the ex-servicemen because of whom “we are free today.”

    “We owe a debt to the heroes of this country, which can never be repaid, but the nation will always express gratitude and respect towards them,” army commander, who is also Colonel of JAK RIF and Ladakh Scouts.

    “Our (JAK RIF) regiment was raised in Jammu in 1820 under the leadership of Maharaja Gulab Singh and hoisted its glory by conquering areas like Tibet, Gilgit, Yasin, Darel, Hunza, Nagar, Chilas and Chitral under the leadership of General Zorawar Singh. Our regiment has participated in every war since 1820 and has given a wonderful example of its valor and sacrifice,” he added.

    “Recognizing our bravery in Hussainiwala Operation of 4 JAK RIF and our bravery in history, we were made an integral part of the Indian Army as the Jammu and Kashmir Regiment,” Lt Gen Dwivedi said.

    Lt Gen Dwivedi, who took over the charge of Northern Command and Colonel of the Regiment of Jammu and Kashmir Rifles and Ladakh Scouts on February 1, 2022, said, “the purpose of this rally is to reach out to the Ex-servicemen of Jammu and Kashmir Rifles, their closest relatives and Veer Naris living in the nearest district of Jammu and surrounding areas, to solve their problems and anomalies related to pension and to get medical help from medical experts.”

    On Agniveer, he said, “some of these Agniveers will go back to the society after completing their four years term and I am sure that after being associated with the regiment, they will also join the regiment in an unbreakable bond.”

    More than 800 Ex-Servicemen, War Veterans, Veer Naris and Next of Kins of Fallen Heroes hailing from Jammu district of Jammu and Kashmir belonging to the Regiment attended the ‘Veterans Sampark Rally’—(KNO)

    [ad_2]
    #Status #quo #maintained #LAC #ceasefire #continues #LoC #Army #Commander

    ( With inputs from : roshankashmir.net )

  • Hamas warns Israel against any change in Al-Aqsa status quo as Ramzan nears

    Hamas warns Israel against any change in Al-Aqsa status quo as Ramzan nears

    [ad_1]

    Gaza: As the Muslim holy month of Ramzan is approaching, Hamas has warned Israel against any change in the status quo at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in East Jerusalem, saying any change “would turn the area into an earthquake”.

    Marwan Issa, deputy chief of staff of Al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of Hamas, made the remarks amid warnings of increased tensions between Israel and Palestine, especially in Jerusalem and the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, reports Xinhua news agency.

    “There is no political process, and the enemy (Israel) has annulled Oslo treaties (signed between Israel and the Palestinians in 1993), so that the coming days will be full of events and incidents,” Issa said.

    He called for “igniting and supporting resistance action in all Palestine, mainly in the West Bank and Jerusalem,” adding: “We will defend the Palestinian people with all force when direct intervention is required.”

    In April 2022, the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound witnessed violent clashes between Palestinian worshipers and Israeli police forces when Jews visited the holy s

    ite. Dozens of Palestinian worshipers were injured.

    The Hamas threats also came amid escalating tensions in the West Bank which flared up in January.

    Since January, 84 Palestinians and 14 Israelis have been killed in the ensuing violence.

    The Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, known to Jews as the most sacred site, is regarded by Muslims as their third holiest site.

    The holy site has been administered by the Jerusalem Islamic Waqf, a Jordanian body, since 1948.

    Under a 1967 agreement between Israel and Jordan, non-Muslim worshippers can visit the compound but are prohibited from praying there.

    [ad_2]
    #Hamas #warns #Israel #change #AlAqsa #status #quo #Ramzan #nears

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • Mehrauli demolition: HC directs authorities to maintain status quo on properties

    Mehrauli demolition: HC directs authorities to maintain status quo on properties

    [ad_1]

    New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Tuesday directed the authorities to maintain status quo till February 16 on various properties in the Mehrauli Archaeological Park area in the national capital which have been identified to be demolished as part of an anti-encroachment drive.

    The high court also asked the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) to state its stand on a batch of petitions challenging the demolition action and seeking a bar on demolition in the Mehrauli Archaeological Park area in south Delhi till a fresh “demarcation report” has been prepared.

    A large number of petitions on the issue were listed for hearing before two different judges Justice Mini Pushkarna and Justice Manmeet Pritam Singh Arora.

    Nearly 20 multi-storey buildings, a large number of shops and houses and a private school building are among the structures constructed “illegally” over the last few decades in the Mehrauli Archaeological Park, which the authorities have identified as part of the anti-encroachment drive.

    Without interfering with the demolition exercise at this stage, Justice Pushkarna issued notice to the Delhi government and DDA on the petition by Mehrauli Minorities Resident And Shop Owners Welfare and directed that the matter be placed before the division bench headed by the Chief Justice, where a similar matter is already pending.

    The drive, which began on February 10, comes a month ahead of a proposed G20 meeting at the park in south Delhi. According to the DDA, the old park has about 55 monuments under the protection of the Archaeological Survey of India, state archeological department and the urban civic body.

    The petitioner, who was raising the issue of demarcation report, submitted that Mehrauli has many slum clusters and several waqf properties, including mosques and dargahs, were located there.

    He alleged the revenue minister of the Delhi government said on February 11 that a fresh “demarcation report” should be prepared as the present report has “certain objections” and, in the meantime, no demolition exercise should be carried out.

    The DDA counsel said it is the land owning agency in the present case and the demolition exercise is in terms of the order passed by a division bench of the high court in December last year for removal of encroachments.

    The lawyer contended the demarcation report is of the year 2021 and the minister cannot sit in review over it.

    In the batch of pleas before Justice Arora, the court also directed the petitioners and their lawyers to meet DDA’s Deputy Director of Land Management at his office tomorrow at 3.30 PM to present their claims on respective land parcels.

    It asked the DDA to file a demarcation report with respect to the subject properties by Wednesday afternoon.

    Advocate Kamlesh Kumar Mishra, representing the residents of Green Apartments in Mehrauli, said there are 62 families residing in 62 flats and the entire action of the DDA is illegal because the authorities are going ahead with the drive without giving any opportunity to the residents to be heard.

    He said the residents of the apartments have got their title deeds registered by the registrar and the DDA along with the Delhi government has gone ahead with the demarcation exercise without notifying the people residing there, something which is not allowed under law.

    On February 10, the high court had directed the authorities to maintain status quo on 400 jhuggis of Ghosiya Slum Colony in Mehrauli, which were also to be demolished.

    The land on which the alleged encroachment was made belonged to multiple agencies including the DDA, Waqf Board, and the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), it has been claimed.

    According to the demolition notice, the land on which demolition is being carried out is a part of the Mehrauli Archaeological Park and the ‘existing unauthorised encroachment’ is acting as a hindrance to its development.

    On December 23, 2022, the high court had refused to stay the demolition exercise proposed in Mehrauli Archaeological Park.

    The DDA had then informed the court that no mosque or graveyard was being demolished by the authorities and that only the encroachers will be removed from places in and around the park. It said the exercise will be carried out in accordance with the demarcation report.

    [ad_2]
    #Mehrauli #demolition #directs #authorities #maintain #status #quo #properties

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )