Tag: Millions

  • UK watchdog fines TikTok millions for misuse of children’s data

    UK watchdog fines TikTok millions for misuse of children’s data

    [ad_1]

    London: The UK on Tuesday imposed a 12.7-million pound fine on Chinese video app TikTok for a number of breaches of data protection law, including failing to use children’s personal data lawfully.

    The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the country’s information watchdog estimates that TikTok allowed up to 1.4 million UK children under the age of 13 to use its platform in 2020, despite its own rules not allowing children that age to create an account.

    The move follows a UK government move last month to ban TikTok from all government phones amid security concerns around the Chinese-owned social media app.

    MS Education Academy

    The ban brought the UK in line with the US, Canada, the European Union (EU) and also India which has banned TikTok entirely from the country, even as the company strongly denies sharing user data with the Chinese government.

    UK data protection law says that organisations that use personal data when offering information services to children under 13 must have consent from their parents or carers.

    “There are laws in place to make sure our children are as safe in the digital world as they are in the physical world. TikTok did not abide by those laws,” said John Edwards, UK Information Commissioner.

    “TikTok should have known better. TikTok should have done better. Our 12.7 mn pounds fine reflects the serious impact their failures may have had. They did not do enough to check who was using their platform or take sufficient action to remove the underage children that were using their platform,” he said.

    TikTok said it is reviewing the decision and its next steps.

    According to Edwards, under-13s were inappropriately granted access to the platform, with TikTok collecting and using their personal data. That means that their data may have been used to track them and profile them, potentially delivering “harmful, inappropriate content at their very next scroll”.

    TikTok is also accused of failing to carry out adequate checks to identify and remove underage children from its platform. The ICO investigation found that a concern was raised internally with some senior employees about children under 13 using the platform and not being removed. In the ICO’s view, TikTok did not respond adequately.

    Giving details of the contraventions, the ICO found that TikTok breached the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR) between May 2018 and July 2020 by providing its services to UK children under the age of 13 and processing their personal data without consent or authorisation from their parents or carers.

    It also breached UK laws by failing to provide proper information to people using the platform about how their data is collected, used, and shared in a way that is easy to understand.

    Without that information, users of the platform, in particular children, were unlikely to be able to make informed choices about whether and how to engage with it and failed to ensure that the personal data belonging to its UK users was processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner.

    A TikTok spokesperson told the BBC that its “40,000-strong safety team works around the clock to help keep the platform safe for our community”.

    “While we disagree with the ICO’s decision, which relates to May 2018 – July 2020, we are pleased that the fine announced today has been reduced to under half the amount proposed last year. We will continue to review the decision and are considering the next steps,” the spokesperson said.

    The watchdog had previously issued the Chinese social media firm with a “notice of intent”, or a precursor to handing down a potential fine, warning TikTok could face a 27 million pound fine for its breaches.

    The ICO said that after taking into consideration the representations from TikTok, it had decided not to pursue the provisional finding related to the unlawful use of special category data.

    [ad_2]
    #watchdog #fines #TikTok #millions #misuse #childrens #data

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • Ramzan 2023: Saudi ready to receive millions to Grand Mosque, Prophet’s Mosque

    Ramzan 2023: Saudi ready to receive millions to Grand Mosque, Prophet’s Mosque

    [ad_1]

    Riyadh: The Grand Mosque in Makkah and the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah are ready to receive millions of worshippers and visitors during the holy month of Ramzan 1444 AH/2023, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.

    With the latest technology and highest standards, the head of the General Presidency for the Affairs of the Two Holy Mosques Sheikh Abdul Rahman Al-Sudais announced the readiness of the two holy Mosques for the holy month.

    Sheikh Abdul Rahman Al-Sudais said that all stairs, elevators, sound systems, guidance services and technical services have been prepared to receive the influx of visitors that the two mosques will witness during the holy month.

    Al-Sudais said that the presidency “has completed the maintenance of the advanced audio system, as well as the audio and video broadcasting of the call to prayer and prayers around the world as part of the Ramzan preparations.”

    On March 16, Al Sudais published a list of the imams who will lead the Taraweeh, night prayers that take place during Ramzan.

    Muslims from all over the world and within the kingdom, especially during the last ten days of the holy month of Ramzan, visit the two holy Mosques to perform Taraweeh, and Umrah and pay respect to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

    In recent months, Saudi Arabia has unveiled a series of facilities for Muslims who want to come to the country to perform Umrah.

    The kingdom expects the number of Umrah pilgrims to reach 9 million from the beginning of the season last July until the end of Ramzan.

    The monitoring committee announced that the month of Ramzan will start on Thursday after the observers were unable to spot the new crescent moon on Tuesday.



    [ad_2]
    #Ramzan #Saudi #ready #receive #millions #Grand #Mosque #Prophets #Mosque

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • Twitter breaks for millions as only 1 engineer left handling crucial APIs

    Twitter breaks for millions as only 1 engineer left handling crucial APIs

    [ad_1]

    Delhi: Twitter went down for millions as users reported several issues with the platform — from links not opening to images stopped loading and more — as there was only one person handling the platform’s application programming interface (API).

    When users clicked on links, they were greeted with a mysterious error message reporting that “your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint”.

    Images stopped loading as well and some users said that they could not access TweetDeck.

    About 85 per cent users had trouble with the web version of Twitter while 13 per cent had issues with the mobile platform

    In a tweet, the company said that “some parts of Twitter may not be working as expected right now”.

    The company’s support account tweeted, “We made an internal change that had some unintended consequences.”

    The change in question was part of a project to shut down free access to the Twitter API, according to Platformer.

    Last month, Twitter announced it will no longer support free access to its API.

    It ended the existence of third-party clients and drastically limited the ability of outside researchers to study the network.

    The change had cascading consequences inside the company, bringing down much of Twitter’s internal tools along with the public-facing APIs, reports The Verge.

    Musk tweeted on Tuesday: “A small API change had massive ramifications”.

    “The code stack is extremely brittle for no good reason. Will ultimately need a complete rewrite,” he posted.

    There have been at least six high-profile Twitter outages this year, as Musk has fired thousands of employees, including those handling APIs and codes.

    [ad_2]
    #Twitter #breaks #millions #engineer #left #handling #crucial #APIs

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • Paytm signs MoU with Andhra govt to empower millions of merchants, street vendors

    Paytm signs MoU with Andhra govt to empower millions of merchants, street vendors

    [ad_1]

    Delhi: One97 Communications Limited, that owns leading payments and financial services company Paytm, on Monday announced it has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Andhra Pradesh government to drive initiatives in financial inclusion, public health and cyber security and empower millions of merchants, street vendors and hawkers in the state.

    The MoU was signed on the sidelines of the Andhra Pradesh ‘Global Investors Summit 2023’, in the presence of Saurabh Gaur, Secretary, IT, Electronics and Communications, state government and Vijay Shekhar Sharma, Founder, Managing Director and CEO, Paytm.

    “We are happy to partner with the government of Andhra Pradesh in their journey of sustainable development through inclusive growth. We are fully committed to driving financial inclusion at the last mile and this partnership is a step in that direction,” said Sharma.

    “We will continue to empower the people of Andhra Pradesh by enabling lakhs of small businesses with mobile payments and access to various financial services,” he added.

    Under the MoU, Paytm plans to empower merchants, street vendors and ‘ChiruVyaparulu’ (street hawkers) in the state to accept digital payments and provide them access to loans through its lending partners.

    Paytm plans to extend its platform for providing e-government services, which will be conveniently accessible to all Paytm Super App users.

    Additionally, the company aims to empower various state government departments to accept digital payments from citizens and businesses, thereby enhancing service delivery for the people.

    The company proposed to also enable the digitisation of toll plazas across the state to accept payments digitally.

    In the area of public health, Paytm proposed to collaborate with the State Health Authority in facilitating seamless OPD appointment booking at government and private hospitals under the forthcoming Unified Health Interface (UHI) programme.

    Paytm also plans to conduct cybersecurity training for state police personnel and launch a joint campaign to raise awareness of cybersecurity best practices among citizens, particularly those residing in non-urban areas.

    [ad_2]
    #Paytm #signs #MoU #Andhra #govt #empower #millions #merchants #street #vendors

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • How a new treatment for diabetes offers hope for millions | podcast

    [ad_1]

    More than 100,000 people with type 1 diabetes in England will be offered an “artificial pancreas”, in a revolutionary new treatment for managing the condition.

    The so-called closed-loop system uses an algorithm to determine the amount of insulin that should be administered to the user and reads blood sugar levels to keep them steady. For thousands of people in the UK, living with diabetes means regular finger-pricking, insulin injections and blood monitoring. But those time-consuming and sometimes stressful processes would become automated by the new treatment, which is being called a “holy grail” for those with diabetes.

    Hannah Moore hears from those living with diabetes, such as Jade Byrne and nine-year-old Eddie Haigh, with his father Ian Haigh. She also hears from Dr Charlotte Boughton, who helped conduct the research trials, and the NHS diabetes specialist Prof Partha Kar.

    A pair of hands holding an artificial pancreas. Photo by Hollandse Hoogte/Rex/Shutterstock

    Photograph: Hollandse Hoogte/REX/Shutterstock

    Support The Guardian

    The Guardian is editorially independent.
    And we want to keep our journalism open and accessible to all.
    But we increasingly need our readers to fund our work.

    Support The Guardian

    [ad_2]
    #treatment #diabetes #offers #hope #millions #podcast
    ( With inputs from : www.theguardian.com )

  • Seeing the huge international aid to Turkey, Millions of Pakistanis shake themselves at the same time to create fake earthquake

    Seeing the huge international aid to Turkey, Millions of Pakistanis shake themselves at the same time to create fake earthquake

    [ad_1]

    The most powerful earthquake to strike Turkey and Syria in nearly a century killed over 2,600 people on Monday, sparked frantic rescues and was felt as far away as Greenland. The 7.8-magnitude early morning quake, followed by dozens of aftershocks, wiped out entire sections of major Turkish cities in a region filled with millions who have fled Syria’s civil war and other conflicts.

     

    Various governments and international organisations have responded with offers of support after an earthquake of magnitude 7.8 struck central Turkey and northwest Syria.

     

    Seeing Turkey getting huge international support, millions of Pakistanis came together to create a fake earthquake scenario. The Pakistanis held the random object and started vibrating fanatically. The Pakistanis demanded international support from the various countries and organisations.

     

    Thousand of Pakistanis injured themselves in this attempt of creating fake earthquake scenario. However, Pakistanis forgot to shake the richter scale.

    [ad_2]
    #huge #international #aid #Turkey #Millions #Pakistanis #shake #time #create #fake #earthquake

    [ Disclaimer: With inputs from The Fauxy, an entertainment portal. The content is purely for entertainment purpose and readers are advised not to confuse the articles as genuine and true, these Articles are Fictitious meant only for entertainment purposes. ]