Tag: JNU

  • BBC documentary screening: JNU students allege stone pelting; police deny claims

    BBC documentary screening: JNU students allege stone pelting; police deny claims

    [ad_1]

    New Delhi: A high drama prevailed at the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) campus on Monday late evening after the students alleged that they were attacked with stones while watching a controversial BBC documentary on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

    However, Deputy Commissioner of Police (southwest), Manoj C. denied reports of stone pelting.

    When asked about the incident, the DCP said “I repeat again no such incident has been reported to us so far.”

    “If we receive a complaint from any section of JNU, necessary legal action as deemed appropriate will be taken,” said the DCP.

    Meanwhile, internet service and electricity connection at the office of the JNU Students’ Union (JNUSU) were snapped on Tuesday after some students wanted to screen the BBC documentary on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

    The JNU administration had earlier asked the students to cancel the screening of the documentary — ‘India: The Modi Question’.

    The varsity administration, in a stern warning, told the students that disciplinary action may be initiated as per the university rules if anyone screens the documentary.

    A section of students under the banner of JNUSU had distributed pamphlets for the screening of the documentary at 9 p.m. on Tuesday.

    The JNU administration was of the view that “such unauthorised activities on the campus may disturb peace and harmony” at the university. However, even after the warning, when the students remained adamant, the university administration decided to disconnect electricity and internet.

    The varsity had earlier stated that no prior permission was sought from the JNU administration for the screening of the documentary.

    Meanwhile, ABVP’s JNU unit president Rohit Kumar said the students’ body “welcomes the instructions to stop the screening of the documentary”.

    “The BBC has been working to tarnish the image of India by making documentaries with a fake agenda,” he said.

    The Central government had earlier termed the BBC documentary propaganda against the Prime Minister and the country.

    [ad_2]
    #BBC #documentary #screening #JNU #students #allege #stone #pelting #police #deny #claims

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • JNU stops BBC documentary screening by cutting internet, electricity

    JNU stops BBC documentary screening by cutting internet, electricity

    [ad_1]

    Even after the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) management issued a statement advising students to refrain from screening the banned BBC documentary on Prime Minister Narendra Modi, a few of them decided to ignore the university. However, their plans were ruined when both the internet and electricity went out in the students’ union office.

    The screening that was to begin at 9 pm on Tuesday could not start.

    In a statement released the previous day, the JNU administration said that no prior permission was taken from the administration.

    “The concerned students/individuals are firmly advice to cancel the proposed programme immediately failing which strict disciplinary action may be initiated as per the university rules,” the JNU administration statement said.

    “This is to emphasise that such an unauthorised activity may disturb peace and harmony of the university campus,” the university said.

    What is the BBC documentary on Modi?

    The new two-part documentary series of the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) ‘India: The Modi Question‘ focuses on the 2002 Gujarat riots that killed thousands and left millions homeless, especially in the Muslim community, and the role played by the then chief minister Narendra Modi’s government.

    The two-part documentary which is aired only in the United Kingdom looks at the escalating tension between the Muslim community and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as well as Hindu right-wing organisations – Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).

    The first part of the two-part series, reportedly reveals ‘never-seen-before’ or ‘restricted’ documents in detail. These reports were never published to the public.

    It states that “Modi is directly responsible” for the riots that killed millions of people and displaced many, mostly Muslims. It also said the “violence was politically motivated” and the aim “was to purge Muslims from Hindu areas”. The riots were impossible “without the climate of impunity created by the state government.”

    Speaking to the BBC, former foreign secretary, Jack Straw (2001-2006) said he was personally involved in the investigations as the data and results provided were alarming.

    “I was very worried about it. I took a great deal of personal interest because India is an important country with whom we (the UK) have relations. And so, we had to handle it very carefully,” Straw told the BBC, adding, “What we did was establish an inquiry and have a team go to Gujarat and find out for themselves what had happened. And they produced a very thorough report.

    [ad_2]
    #JNU #stops #BBC #documentary #screening #cutting #internet #electricity

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • As JNU stops power, internet; students watch BBC documentary on phones, laptops

    As JNU stops power, internet; students watch BBC documentary on phones, laptops

    [ad_1]

    Protests broke out when students from the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) were disallowed to watch the screening of the banned BBC documentary on Prime Minister Narendra Modi as university management cut out electricity and internet.

    However, this did not deter the students as they decided to watch the documentary on their phones and laptops, reports said.

    In a statement released the previous day, the JNU administration said that no prior permission was taken from the administration.

    “The concerned students/individuals are firmly advice to cancel the proposed programme immediately failing which strict disciplinary action may be initiated as per the university rules,” the JNU administration statement said.

    “This is to emphasise that such an unauthorised activity may disturb peace and harmony of the university campus,” the university said.

    What is the BBC documentary on Modi?

    The new two-part documentary series of the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) ‘India: The Modi Question‘ focuses on the 2002 Gujarat riots that killed thousands and left millions homeless, especially in the Muslim community, and the role played by the then chief minister Narendra Modi’s government.

    The two-part documentary which is aired only in the United Kingdom looks at the escalating tension between the Muslim community and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as well as Hindu right-wing organisations – Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).

    The first part of the two-part series, reportedly reveals ‘never-seen-before’ or ‘restricted’ documents in detail. These reports were never published to the public.

    It states that “Modi is directly responsible” for the riots that killed millions of people and displaced many, mostly Muslims. It also said the “violence was politically motivated” and the aim “was to purge Muslims from Hindu areas”. The riots were impossible “without the climate of impunity created by the state government.”

    Speaking to the BBC, former foreign secretary, Jack Straw (2001-2006) said he was personally involved in the investigations as the data and results provided were alarming.

    “I was very worried about it. I took a great deal of personal interest because India is an important country with whom we (the UK) have relations. And so, we had to handle it very carefully,” Straw told the BBC, adding, “What we did was establish an inquiry and have a team go to Gujarat and find out for themselves what had happened. And they produced a very thorough report.

    [ad_2]
    #JNU #stops #power #internet #students #watch #BBC #documentary #phones #laptops

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • JNU admin ‘advises’ students against screening of BBC documentary on Modi

    JNU admin ‘advises’ students against screening of BBC documentary on Modi

    [ad_1]

    The Jawaharlal Nehru College (JNU) administration has ‘advised’ its student union to cancel the screening of the controversial BBC documentary on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

    The documentary, ‘India: the Modi Question’, was scheduled to be screened on the JNU campus on January 24 at 9 pm.

    In a statement released the previous day, the JNU administration said that no prior permission was taken from the administration.

    “The concerned students/individuals are firmly advice to cancel the proposed programme immediately failing which strict disciplinary action may be initiated as per the university rules,” the JNU administration statement said.

    “This is to emphasise that such an unauthorised activity may disturb peace and harmony of the university campus,” the university said.

    Reacting to the circular, the president of the JNU students’ union, Aishe Ghosh shared an old tweet of the Prime Minister from 2019.

    “I think the JNU Administration missed the tweet by our PM tweeted some years back. Just reminding. We take his words quite seriously,” Aishe tweeted.

    The BBC documentary throws thorough investigations and unreleased documents of the ill-fated 2002 Gujarat riots when Narendra Modi was the chief minister of the state.

    A similar incident took place in Hyderabad when a special screening took place at the University of Hyderabad (UoH), on January 21.

    Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) – the student wing of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) – lodged a complaint with the University administration over its screening following which a probe was initiated.

    What is the BBC documentary on Modi?

    The new two-part documentary series of the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) ‘India: The Modi Question‘ focuses on the 2002 Gujarat riots that killed thousands and left millions homeless, especially in the Muslim community, and the role played by the then chief minister Narendra Modi’s government.

    The two-part documentary which is aired only in the United Kingdom looks at the escalating tension between the Muslim community and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as well as Hindu right-wing organisations – Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).

    The first part of the two-part series, reportedly reveals ‘never-seen-before’ or ‘restricted’ documents in detail. These reports were never published to the public.

    It states that “Modi is directly responsible” for the riots that killed millions of people and displaced many, mostly Muslims. It also said the “violence was politically motivated” and the aim “was to purge Muslims from Hindu areas”. The riots were impossible “without the climate of impunity created by the state government.”

    Speaking to the BBC, former foreign secretary, Jack Straw (2001-2006) said he was personally involved in the investigations as the data and results provided were alarming.

    “I was very worried about it. I took a great deal of personal interest because India is an important country with whom we (the UK) have relations. And so, we had to handle it very carefully,” Straw told the BBC, adding, “What we did was establish an inquiry and have a team go to Gujarat and find out for themselves what had happened. And they produced a very thorough report.



    [ad_2]
    #JNU #admin #advises #students #screening #BBC #documentary #Modi

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • Clashes Between Two Groups Of Students At JNU, Outsiders Involved In Fight Too

    Clashes Between Two Groups Of Students At JNU, Outsiders Involved In Fight Too

    [ad_1]

    Following a fight between two groups on campus on Thursday, videos from Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi showed dozens of students walking about with wooden sticks in hand, NDTV reported.

    Students from Tapti Hostel and students from another hostel reportedly got into a fight. Soon after, according to reports, a large fight broke out on campus.

    The report further said that the police are on the spot. But no complaints have been made as of yet.


    (We don’t allow anyone to copy content. For Copyright or Use of Content related questions, visit here.)

    To support our Independent Journalism



    [ad_2]
    #Clashes #Groups #Students #JNU #Outsiders #Involved #Fight