Tag: choosing

  • Sunak under pressure to stop choosing Tories for BBC jobs after Sharp row

    Sunak under pressure to stop choosing Tories for BBC jobs after Sharp row

    [ad_1]

    Rishi Sunak is under pressure to stop appointing Conservatives to key positions at the BBC after Richard Sharp’s resignation prompted criticism the party had undermined the broadcaster by flooding it with cronies.

    Sharp quit as BBC chair on Friday morning after an investigation concluded he had failed to disclose key information about his relationship with the former prime minister Boris Johnson when applying for the job in 2021. Sharp helped facilitate an £800,000 loan guarantee for Johnson when he was in the running to take over the broadcaster but did not tell the appointments panel.

    His resignation plunges the BBC into another period of uncertainty and mires the Tories in a further row over the behaviour of some its most senior members and appointees. It follows the recent resignation of Dominic Raab as deputy prime minister over bullying allegations and the sacking of Nadhim Zahawi as party chair over his tax affairs.

    Richard Sharp resigns as BBC chair – video

    But it also gives Sunak an unexpected opportunity to put his stamp on the broadcaster by appointing a new chair for a four-year term.

    Lucy Powell, the shadow culture secretary, said Sharp had caused “untold damage to the reputation of the BBC and seriously undermined its independence as a result of the Conservatives’ sleaze and cronyism”. She called on Sunak to run a “truly independent and robust” recruitment process for Sharp’s replacement, saying that only this could “restore the esteem of the BBC after his government has tarnished it so much”.

    Ed Vaizey, the Conservative peer and former culture minister, said the prime minister should make sure the next appointments process was “beyond reproach”.

    Peter Riddell, who was public appointments commissioner when Sharp was given the job, said Johnson had been “conflicted” during the appointments process. He called on Downing Street not to leak the name of a chosen successor over the coming months in an effort to put off other candidates.

    The report by the barrister Adam Heppinstall found Sharp had created a “potential perceived conflict of interest” by failing to tell an interview panel in late 2020 that he had discussed the BBC job with Johnson prior to sending in his application. Johnson went on to appoint Sharp to the job, months after friendly media outlets had been briefed that the former Goldman Sachs banker was Downing Street’s choice for the role.

    Sharp was also criticised for not disclosing a discussion with the head of the civil service during the recruitment process, at which he introduced a man who would later organise a £800,000 personal loan facility for Johnson. At this time the prime minister was struggling with his personal finances due to the costs of his divorce. It is still not known who ultimately loaned him the money.

    Sharp, a Tory donor who was previously Sunak’s boss at Goldman Sachs, quit on Friday morning. He concluded his continued presence at the BBC “may well be a distraction from the corporation’s good work”, while saying the lack of disclosure during the application process had been unintentional.

    BBC director general Tim Davie
    The BBC director general, Tim Davie. Photograph: Hannah McKay/AP

    Sharp had originally indicated he intended to fight to save his job, but he ended up resigning immediately after its publication. Tim Davie, the BBC director general, was spotted visiting Sharp’s house on Thursday afternoon, prompting speculation the chair was encouraged to quit.

    The investigation into Sharp’s appointment was particularly damning on the way the application process for the job was handled. Other candidates were put off from putting forward their names for the BBC job by the perception it was already lined up for Sharp, while at every stage it was made clear Downing Street wanted him to have the job.

    Sunak will have the opportunity to select his preferred candidate for BBC chair, with the hiring process – and the independence of the preferred candidate – likely to be subject to enormous external scrutiny. The government has the ability to appoint the chair of the BBC and several other directors, in addition to setting the amount of money it receives from the licence fee.

    One Downing Street source said they had been blindsided by Sharp’s resignation, given the indication he intended to fight on. “The PM really hasn’t been thinking about a successor to Sharp,” the source said. “He’s been focused on lots of other things, but not this.”

    Rather than immediately accept Sharp’s resignation, the government has asked him to remain in the role for two months so it can select an interim chair before starting the lengthy process of finding a full-time replacement.

    Under the terms of the BBC’s charter, the temporary chair has to be one of the seven non-executive directors who sit on the broadcaster’s governing board. They include public figures such as the former television presenter Muriel Gray, the financier Shumeet Banerji, the Welsh academic Elan Closs Stephens and the accountant Shirley Garrood.

    The most explosive option available to Sunak would be to appoint the former BBC journalist Robbie Gibb, who became Theresa May’s director of communications when she was prime minister. He was appointed to the BBC’s board as a director by Johnson’s government and has repeatedly criticised perceived anti-Brexit and anti-Tory bias in the corporation’s output.

    The simplest option would be to give the job to Damon Buffini, the deputy chair, who has been tasked with improving the BBC’s commercial performance. Another leading candidate is Nicholas Serota, the chair of Arts Council England.

    Nicholas Serota, director of Arts Council England
    Nicholas Serota, director of Arts Council England. Photograph: Alicia Canter/The Guardian

    The government will then have to start the process of recruiting a full-time chair of the BBC to serve a fresh four-year term. This gives Sunak the unexpected opportunity of putting a Tory-backed appointee in charge of the BBC’s board until 2027, making it harder for a potential Labour government to shape the national broadcaster if it wins the next election.

    Sharp’s resignation comes at a troubled time for the broadcaster, which is facing a financial crisis after 13 years of cuts to its funding under a Conservative-led government. This week MPs criticised it for being too slow to move away from its traditional television and radio channels towards a digital future, saying the BBC risked being made irrelevant by rivals such as Netflix.

    Michelle Stanistreet, the general secretary of the National Union of Journalists, said Sharp “had lost the dressing room, he had lost the respect of senior figures in the broadcasting industry and besmirched the reputation of the BBC”. She urged the government to appoint a chair who would champion public service broadcasting.

    Labour has called for the recruitment process, which is likely to take most of the summer, to be transparent and independent. The party is already running its own panel to review the workings of the BBC, which met for the first time last week. It will come up with policy proposals on strengthening the BBC’s independence from government, especially when it comes to appointments.

    But top BBC appointments have always been in the hands of the government of the day, an influence that Labour may be loth to give up if it wins the next general election.

    In his resignation statement, Sharp said that “for all its complexities, successes, and occasional failings, the BBC is an incredible, dynamic, and world-beating creative force, unmatched anywhere”.

    [ad_2]
    #Sunak #pressure #stop #choosing #Tories #BBC #jobs #Sharp #row
    ( With inputs from : www.theguardian.com )

  • Start with the font: Jay Rayner’s guide to choosing a good restaurant anywhere

    Start with the font: Jay Rayner’s guide to choosing a good restaurant anywhere

    [ad_1]

    All unfamiliar restaurants are terrible until proven otherwise. I’m not proud of this blunt statement. I have written about restaurants for so long because I love them, often in that heated adult way. Yes, there are the occasional skewerings, of the grossly overpriced and the grimly underperforming. But generally, I regard myself as a cheerleader. I want good places to prosper.

    First, though, I have to identify them, and eating out is rarely a cheap gamble. Which means it’s not something anyone can treat casually. For me, it’s often relatively straightforward. I recognise the name of a chef or a restaurateur. I like what they’ve done before and can be reasonably confident about what they’re doing now. But sometimes, like everyone else, I have to take a punt. Perhaps I am visiting a town I don’t know well. Perhaps the new place is run by a team I’ve never come across before.

    It’s time for detective work. It all starts with the menu, whether viewed online or in the window. Begin with the basics, by which I mean the typeface. Dismiss anywhere that uses comic sans or the like. If they have so little taste in typography, what hope is there when it comes to the food? Equally, be suspicious of somewhere that uses a grandiose italic. Aside from the fact that they’re so bloody hard to read, it’s also a clear signifier: it says “we take food Seriously” with a capital S. Is that your idea of fun? No? Move on. A menu should be physically readable.

    Now we come to the words. Are they using redundant adjectives? If the menu feels the need to tell you that the squid is tender, find somewhere else. No restaurant intentionally serves rubbery squid. So why the hell are you telling me that yours is tender? Look out for other terrifying words. Are ingredients “nestled”? Is the dish “sumptuous”? Are there “medleys” or “symphonies”? If anything is described as “mouth-watering”, close down the browser. Back away from the window. Whoever wrote that menu is desperately overcompensating for deficiencies in the kitchen. A good menu should also be simply written.

    Next up, how long is it? Half a dozen or so starters and mains? Fine. Any competent kitchen can manage that. But a dozen dishes a course? More? At that point I become suspicious that a freezer cabinet and a food service company are involved. The menus of restaurants cooking the food of China’s various provinces or the Indian subcontinent are an exception to this rule. Their menus can be much longer courtesy of permutations of ingredients. And yes, on those menus, photographs are fine.

    If the menu writing has passed muster, check the prices. Add up a mid-range starter, main and dessert. How much is it going to be a head? Is that reasonable compared to bills you’ve settled recently? Now look at the wine list. Everyone forgets to check the wine list, which can be a source of both joy and of unhappiness. The food may seem reasonably priced, but if the cheapest bottle of wine is, say, £35, the bill is quickly going to mount up. How many bottles are there under £40? And have they arranged them in ascending order of price? Or have they done them by grape and region? If you love wine and your pockets are deep, go for it. Otherwise, stay away.

    At this point, Google becomes your friend. Study the photographs that are available online. Does the look of the restaurant seem to match the cost? We are deeply into the subjective here, but there is now so much online you have significant evidence to go on. Does anybody in those pictures look as if they’re having a nice time? Which brings us to the last source of information: the online review. For God’s sake, don’t read them. There’s enough trauma in the world without volunteering to witness the brutalisation of the English language. But there can still be wisdom in crowds. You just have to locate the crowd. If there are fewer than 200 user reviews, there’s nothing of value here. Beyond that number you can usually pay attention to the scores, because at that volume few places are capable of influencing the overall result. Do the four- and five-star reviews vastly outnumber the one and two stars? If yes, then it may be cause for optimism.

    In the end, of course, you do have to make a choice. You have to decide whether or not to book a table. And if, based upon all of these tests, you choose to do so and the place is terrible, if the cooking amounts to the victimisation of innocent ingredients, and the service would be banned under the Geneva convention, then you have one last option. Don’t eat there ever again.

    [ad_2]
    #Start #font #Jay #Rayners #guide #choosing #good #restaurant
    ( With inputs from : www.theguardian.com )

  • Savarkar or Tipu? Karnataka district tensed over choosing name for junction

    Savarkar or Tipu? Karnataka district tensed over choosing name for junction

    [ad_1]

    Yadgir: Tension gripped Yadgir city of the state after a row broke out over the naming of a junction after the 18th-century Mysuru ruler Tipu Sultan or BJP’s iconic figure Veer Savarkar.

    Though the authorities swung into action and brought the situation under control, the issue has taken a communal turn threatening the peace, law and order situation.

    Yadgir Municipality is run by BJP. Maintaining that Tippu circle near Hattikuni Cross is illegal, the Hindus are demanding rechristening it as Veer Savarkar.

    On the other hand, fans of Tipu Sultan, mostly from the Muslim community, have declared that they won’t allow this to happen at any cost.

    The authorities have arrested Parashurama Shegurkar, State President of Shivaji Sena, and his followers. North Karnataka Tipu Sultan Samyukta Rang President Abdul Kareem has also been booked by the police and sources say that he is absconding.

    Tipu fans maintain that the city municipality has given permission to name the circle after Tipu Sultan in 2010.

    Earlier, it was called Moulana Abdul Kalam circle. However, Hindu activists claim that the circle is named after Tipu Sultan illegally without permission from the Municipality. The government has not accepted the change of name.

    The Hindu activists are demanding to rename of the circle after Veer Savarkar. They even made an attempt to remove the name of the circle and police had foiled the bid. The authorities had also clamped prohibitory orders.

    Suresh Ambigara, President of the Municipality maintained that naming the circle after Tippu Sultan is illegal. The proposal has been sent to the government to name it after Veer Savarkar. “We will abide by the government order in this regard,” he said.

    As elections are nearing, the ruling BJP government is likely to accept the proposal of naming the circle after Veer Savarkar. This is going to be an issue, sources explain.

    [ad_2]
    #Savarkar #Tipu #Karnataka #district #tensed #choosing #junction

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )