Tag: upbeat

  • Congress upbeat in Hubbali as Sonia to campaign for Shettar, others

    Congress upbeat in Hubbali as Sonia to campaign for Shettar, others

    [ad_1]

    Hubbali: Congress workers in Karnataka’s Hubbali are upbeat as former party chief Sonia Gandhi will reach the city in Saturday to campaign for former Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar and all other candidates in Dharwad district.

    A heavy contingent of police is deployed at Hubbali as Sonia Gandhi is an SPG protectee. More than 3000 policemen are deployed at various points in Hubbali and the ground where she will speak is taken over by the SPG.

    According to Congress leadership, Gandhi will speak at the Young Stars Sports Ground in Hubbali at 5 p.m. on Saturday.

    MS Education Academy

    Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge, Rahul Gandhi and other senior Congress leaders will be present at the rally. Congress candidates in all the seven constituencies of Dharwad will also participate.

    Hubbali, according to Congress camp, is the only place where Gandhi is campaigning in the state for the May 10 elections.

    The seriousness Congress has given to the candidature of Shettar is clear from Sonia Gandhi herself reaching Hubbali for campaigning.

    Talking to IANS, local Congress leader Ismail Sait said: “Jagadish Shettar was a secular leader even when he was in the BJP and the presence of former Congress President, Sonia Gandhi for the election campaign is an important gesture on how Congress treats Jagadish Shettar.”

    He also said that the Muslim community would vote in totality for Shettar.

    The Congress is expecting to wrest a few seats in Dharwad district which has been a strong bastion of the BJP.

    [ad_2]
    #Congress #upbeat #Hubbali #Sonia #campaign #Shettar

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • Quota withdrawal for Muslims: Karnataka BJP upbeat despite SC rap

    Quota withdrawal for Muslims: Karnataka BJP upbeat despite SC rap

    [ad_1]

    Bengaluru: Though opposition parties are celebrating and criticising the BJP-led Karnataka government following a reprimand by the Supreme Court over the withdrawal of four per cent reservation quota for Muslims, the ruling BJP is upbeat about the turn of events.

    The Supreme Court has recently observed that the ruling BJP government’s decision to withdraw four per cent reservation under the OBC category for Muslims appears to be “based on fallacious assumptions” and “was on a shaky foundation”.

    The reservation quota has been increased for the influential Lingayat and Vokkaliga communities by two per cent each.

    MS Education Academy

    The Muslim community has been brought under the 10 per cent reservation provided for the economically weaker sections (EWS).

    The ruling BJP government has announced new reservation along with internal reservation for SC/ST groups just before the end of its term. The opposition parties criticised the BJP for the hasty decision on revision of reservation structure.

    State Congress President D.K. Shivakumar has openly challenged that it is a matter of days and when his party comes to power after elections, the revision of reservation would be withdrawn.

    The opposition made it a major issue and slammed the BJP that the saffron party has insulted the Lingayat and Vokkaliga communities by providing the reservation of Muslims to them.

    Shivakumar had questioned that had the Lingayat and Vokkaliga communities asked to withdraw the reservation of Muslims to increase their quota?

    He alleged that it is being done as part of its policy of creating hatred between communities.

    Sources in the state BJP unit said that the message has been passed on to the Hindus with the decision being made on withdrawal of reservation for Muslims.

    The attacks on the BJP will only polarise the Hindu votes for the party, they added.

    Former Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa had earlier said that by shifting the four per cent reservation, there was no harm done to the Muslim community.

    “Muslims have been brought under the EWS quota. There should not be any misunderstanding,” he added.

    Yediyurappa also said that as it was not possible to provide reservation on the basis of religion, they (Muslims) are brought under the EWS quota.

    The Central government is implementing “pro-poor” and “pro-farmer” schemes. If there are any differences they (Muslims) will be convinced, he added.

    The Karnataka government has announced new reservation quota after the last cabinet meeting. Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai had announced a reservation of seven per cent to Lingayats, six per cent to Vokkaligas, six per cent for SC (Left), 5.5 per cent for SC (Right), one per cent for Bhovi, Banjaras and others.

    Bommai had defended his government’s decision that “the religious minorities do not have reservation quota in seven states”. The decision has been taken to allot reservation for Muslims under the EWS quota.

    He also added that the demand for a hike in the reservation had been pending for the last 30 years but the Congress did not do anything but made false promises. They had thought it would not be possible for the BJP to do it.

    “We showed our commitment by getting a report, got the study done, constituted a cabinet sub-committee, and took a bold decision as per law.”

    [ad_2]
    #Quota #withdrawal #Muslims #Karnataka #BJP #upbeat #rap

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • Scholz upbeat about trade truce with US in ‘first quarter of this year’

    Scholz upbeat about trade truce with US in ‘first quarter of this year’

    [ad_1]

    france germany 12837

    PARIS — German Chancellor Olaf Scholz raised optimism on Sunday that the EU and the U.S. can reach a trade truce in the coming months to prevent discrimination against European companies due to American subsidies.

    Speaking at a press conference with French President Emmanuel Macron following a joint Franco-German Cabinet meeting in Paris, Scholz said he was “confident” that the EU and the U.S. could reach an agreement “within the first quarter of this year” to address measures under the U.S. Inflation Reduction Act that Europe fears would siphon investments in key technologies away the Continent.

    “My impression is that there is a great understanding in the U.S. [of the concerns raised in the EU],” the chancellor said.

    Macron told reporters that he and Scholz supported attempts by the European Commission to negotiate exemptions from the U.S. law to avoid discrimination against EU companies.

    The fresh optimism came as both leaders adopted a joint statement in which they called for loosening EU state aid rules to boost home-grown green industries — in a response to the U.S. law. The text said the EU needed “ambitious” measures to increase the bloc’s economic competitiveness, such as “simplified and streamlined procedures for state aid” that would allow pumping more money into strategic industries. 

    The joint statement also stressed the need to create “sufficient funding.” But in a win for Berlin, which has been reluctant to talk about new EU debt, the text says that the bloc should first make “full use of the available funding and financial instruments.” The statement also includes an unspecific reference about the need to create “solidarity measures.” 

    EU leaders will meet early next month to discuss Europe’s response to the Inflation Reduction Act, including the Franco-German proposal to soften state aid rules.

    The relationship between Scholz and Macron hit a low in recent months when the French president canceled a planned joint Cabinet meeting in October over disagreements on energy, finance and defense. But the two leaders have since found common ground over responding to the green subsidies in Washington’s Inflation Reduction Act. Macron said that Paris and Berlin had worked in recent weeks to “synchronize” their visions for Europe. 

    “We need the greatest convergence possible to help Europe to move forward,” he said.

    But there was little convergence on how to respond to Ukraine’s repeated requests for Germany and France to deliver battle tanks amid fears there could be a renewed Russian offensive in the spring. 

    Asked whether France would send Leclerc tanks to Ukraine, Macron said the request was being considered and there was work to be done on this issue in the “days and weeks to come.”

    Scholz evaded a question on whether Germany would send Leopard 2 tanks, stressing that Berlin had never ceased supporting Ukraine with weapons deliveries and took its decisions in cooperation with its allies.

    “We have to fear that this war will go on for a very long time,” the chancellor said.

    Reconciliation, for past and present

    The German chancellor and his Cabinet were in Paris on Sunday to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Elysée treaty, which marked a reconciliation between France and Germany after World War II. The celebrations, first at the Sorbonne University and later at the Elysée Palace, were also a moment for the two leaders to put their recent disagreements aside.

    Paris and Berlin have been at odds in recent months not only over defense, energy and finance policy, but also Scholz’s controversial €200 billion package for energy price relief, which was announced last fall without previously involving the French government. These tensions culminated in Macron snubbing Scholz by canceling, in an unprecedented manner, a planned press conference with the German leader in October.

    At the Sorbonne, Scholz admitted relations between the two countries were often turbulent. 

    “The Franco-German engine isn’t always an engine that purrs softly; it’s also a well-oiled machine that can be noisy when it is looking for compromises,” he said.  

    Macron said France and Germany needed to show “fresh ambition” at a time when “history is becoming unhinged again,” in a reference to Russia’s aggression against Ukraine. 

    “Because we have cleared a path towards reconciliation, France and Germany must become pioneers for the relaunch of Europe” in areas such as energy, innovation, technology, artificial intelligence and diplomacy, he said. 

    On defense, Paris and Berlin announced that Franco-German battalions would be deployed to Romania and Lithuania to reinforce NATO’s eastern front.

    The leaders also welcomed “with satisfaction” recent progress on their joint fighter jet project, FCAS, and said they wanted to progress on their Franco-German tank project, according to the joint statement. 

    The joint declaration also said that both countries are open to the long-term project of EU treaty changes, and that in the shorter term they want to overcome “deadlocks” in the Council of the EU by switching to qualified majority voting on foreign policy and taxation.



    [ad_2]
    #Scholz #upbeat #trade #truce #quarter #year
    ( With inputs from : www.politico.eu )