Tag: defy

  • Scottish Cup offers Rangers chance to defy expectations against Celtic

    Scottish Cup offers Rangers chance to defy expectations against Celtic

    [ad_1]

    A Rangers season which began with typically lofty expectations could in effect end before May Day. Defeat by Celtic in Sunday’s Scottish Cup semi-final would extinguish the one lingering hope of silverware from a campaign during which Rangers have continued to wrestle with the frustration of being second best in a two-horse race.

    Knockout football is such a fickle beast that some would rail at any assertion the winners of this Old Firm clash will lift the cup. Unfortunately the gulf between Celtic, Rangers and the rest of the top flight is stark enough without contemplating the prospects of second-tier Inverness and League One Falkirk, who meet in Saturday’s first semi-final. Odds of at least 20-1 for either to win the trophy almost seem to underplay the situation.

    A key talking point will and should surround the preposterous assertion of the Scottish Football Association that a crowd of considerably fewer than 20,000 should trot along to the 52,000-capacity Hampden Park on Saturday when the match would be far more sensibly hosted at Tynecastle or Easter Road. The Scottish Cup has no sponsor, the Scottish game very little positive image beyond its own parochial boundaries. Those in high office, who will look on silently from cosy seats as sectarian verse pollutes the Hampden air on Sunday, need to raise their game.

    That this game constitutes Rangers’ last stand will add to the sense of fervour from their end. A desire to do something, anything, to show Celtic can be bruised has lurched towards desperation. There has even been the rising and nonsensical suggestion that Michael Beale, Rangers’ head coach, should come under pressure if he fails to seal a June return to Hampden. This notion resonates in the antiquated notion that winning is everything at Ibrox; Rangers have won precious little in contemporary times without material change occurring.

    “We are not that far from them,” the Rangers midfielder Nicolas Raskin said of Celtic. On the basis of head-to-head meetings – and Raskin has been in Glasgow only since January – the point has a degree of merit. The league table presses home a deeper story. With five fixtures to play, Celtic head their oldest foes by 13 points and have a far better goal difference. By every available metric relating to squad performance or value, Celtic are superior. A glance at Scotland’s domestic trophy spread over more than a decade dictates this as a concerted period of Celtic dominance.

    Rangers are likely to lose Sunday’s semi-final. Beale, as the man standing front and centre, will field criticism if they do, however it plays out. Neil Banfield, Beale’s assistant, did his boss no favours last week by breathlessly comparing the 42-year-old to Arsène Wenger, Julian Nagelsmann, Thomas Tuchel and Mauricio Pochettino. Rangers duly lost tamely, 2-0 at Aberdeen.

    The key point is that in November Beale took over a club that basked so much in the title success of 2021 that in domestic context it forgot how to improve. By the onset of the January window Beale presided over an injury-prone squad which included goalkeepers aged 40 and 35, wholly unconvincing defenders, a one-paced midfield and, in Alfredo Morelos, a moody striker who had quite enough of Scottish football long ago (the feeling is generally mutual). Millions have been squandered on players who make no serious impact on the starting XI. The Rangers board accelerated summer moves for Raskin and Todd Cantwell in an attempt to prove to supporters that revolution was forthcoming. Beale’s summer work must be even more radical. Without that, Rangers are stuck in a cycle of watching Celtic profit on and off the field.

    Rangers’ Nicolas Raskin (left) against Celtic
    Nicolas Raskin (left) says Rangers ‘are not that far from Celtic’. Photograph: Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

    Beale is not without error. He made rookie mistakes during the League Cup final defeat by Celtic. Nonetheless, he has rapidly discovered that Rangers can look fluent against dross in the Scottish Premiership without being at all convincing when stakes are raised. He is worthy of an opportunity to alter that, including by pressing home knowledge of the club he is so keen to stress he garnered as a coach under Steven Gerrard. Beating Celtic on Sunday would deliver a morale boost but in bigger-picture terms Rangers need to rejuvenate themselves as an efficient and effective club. Neither presently applies.

    skip past newsletter promotion

    The case of Ross Wilson emphasises how quickly life can come at you as a Rangers employee. Last May, after Rangers sampled rare domestic glory in the Scottish Cup, the sporting director was posting Union Jack emojis on social media in a lame attempt to ingratiate himself to a supporter base who within months were holding up banners calling for his removal. Wilson, who is very good at talking the talk, has shuffled off to relegation-threatened Nottingham Forest.

    John Bennett – whose mantra for Rangers of “best in class” is rather undermined by performance – is the new chairman. James Bisgrove will step into the shoes soon to be vacated by the managing director Stewart Robertson. With Bisgrove as commercial director, Rangers have attracted a level of partners which would make Elizabeth Taylor blush. In the domain of Scottish football and its complex politics, though, he is a lightweight; this looks like rearranging deckchairs.

    When dust settles on an inevitably fractious Hampden clash, Rangers will trundle through a handful of meaningless league games. A Scottish Cup final beyond those five humdrum fixtures would increase the club’s sense of status. Thereafter, and more importantly, Beale needs to trigger a seismic shift. Even in this madcap football world, it seems fair to allow him a decent chance at that.

    [ad_2]
    #Scottish #Cup #offers #Rangers #chance #defy #expectations #Celtic
    ( With inputs from : www.theguardian.com )

  • Turkish women defy ban on protests, stage ‘Feminist Night March’

    Turkish women defy ban on protests, stage ‘Feminist Night March’

    [ad_1]

    Istanbul: Turkish women have defied a ban on protests and staged an annual march called “Feminist Night March” in Istanbul’s Taksim Square to mark International Women’s Day.

    Although the police allowed the protesters on Wednesday night to carry on with their march for a while, later they used tear gas to disperse them, reports the BBC.

    Several people were also detained.

    The women had gathered in the city’s Istiklal Street despite the ban imposed by the Beyoglu district governor’s office for all kinds of demonstrations and marches in the area, including the women’s day march.

    Marking International Women’s Day, the main opposition Republican People’s Party earlier in the day released a report which said that more than 600 women had been killed in Turkey by men since 2021, when President Recep Tayyip Erdogan withdrew the country from the Istanbul Convention — a treaty that aimed to combat domestic violence.

    In a statement titled “we are sorry, we are angry”, the march organiser criticised the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) for failing to handle a range of crises and problems including ongoing economic deterioration, the coronavirus pandemic, the February 6 earthquakes that claimed more than 46,000 lives, and increasing racism and promoting LGBT+ hatred and patriarchy, reports the Turkish Minute news website.

    It said that women are determined to continue their fight against patriarchy, homophobia, transphobia, exploitation of labour and capitalism.

    The women at the march also chanted slogans calling on the government to resign.

    “We are not going to be silent, we will not be intimidated, and we are not obeying you,” they said.

    Every year, thousands of women gather in Taksim Square for the “Feminist Night March”, which marks the continuation of the world-famous “Reclaim the Night” movement, despite bans from authorities and police violence and detention.

    (Except for the headline, the story has not been edited by Siasat staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



    [ad_2]
    #Turkish #women #defy #ban #protests #stage #Feminist #Night #March

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • Mumbai: Over 200 TISS students watch BBC’s Modi docu, defy warning

    Mumbai: Over 200 TISS students watch BBC’s Modi docu, defy warning

    [ad_1]

    Over 200 students watched the BBC documentary on Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Mumbai’s Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), the Progressive Students Forum, which is organising the screening, said on Saturday.

    This comes despite the institute warning the students against holding the screening.

    The institute’s administration had warned in a circular that “It is with utmost seriousness we note that some students, through a group, are engaged in activities contravening the advisory issued on 27th January regarding the screening of a BBC Documentary forbidden by the Government and attempting to mobilise and trigger students to do the same.”

    “We caution the students to understand that any such acts by any student or groups violating the instructions issued on 27th January 2023 and engaging in any activities leading to disturbance of peace and harmony will be held responsible for the same and will be dealt with duly under relevant institutional rules on the matter”, it added.

    The screening has been opposed by Maharashtra’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party. The Bharatiya Yuva Morcha, the saffron party’s youth wing, organised a demonstration outside the university.

    The Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) Mumbai students union protested on campus on Friday over the Union government’s ban on two BBC films critical of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, as well as threats against students who screened the movies at institutions throughout India.

    The Students union members handed out QR codes allowing access to BBC documentaries, Anand Patwardhan’s award-winning documentary ‘Ram ke Nam’ and Maktoob’s documentary on Gujarat genocide ‘Gujarat unhealed’ by Shaheen Abdulla.

    Despite TISS officials’ warnings, the students assembled.

    BBC on Wednesday released the second episode of the two-part documentary – ‘India: The Modi Question‘ – which directly blames Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s role in the 2002 Gujarat riots when he helmed the state as its chief minister.

    The first part was released on January 19 and was shared by many on all social media platforms which encouraged debates around the 2002 Gujarat riots and the role of then chief minister Narendra Modi during the riots that killed more than millions and displaced many, especially Muslims.

    The documentary series reportedly reveals ‘never-seen-before’ or ‘restricted’ documents in detail. It looks at the escalating tension between the Muslim community and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as well as Hindu right-wing organisations – Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).

    “It has come to our notice that some groups of students are planning to screen the BBC documentary that has created a disturbance in some parts of the country. Some plan to organise gatherings to protest against related developments in a few universities,“ read the circular issued by Prof Sasmita Palo, Officiating Registrar, maktoobmedia reported.

    The Union is an alliance of the Ambedkarite Students’ Association, the Adivasi Students Forum, the Fraternity, the Northeast Students’ Forum and the Muslim Students Federation.

    “This is to inform all the students that the institute has not permitted any such screening and gatherings which may disturb the academic environment and jeopardise the peace and harmony in our campuses,” read circular.

    The Progressive Students’ Forum (PSF-TISS), a left students’ collective in TISS which announced the documentary screening on campus two days ago said: “Not an Inch back. TISS students will watch the documentary on 28th January at 7 PM.”

    “PSF-TISS strongly condemns the TISS administration’s banning the screening or gathering around ”BBC documentary, India: The Modi question”. The admin’s argument that the screening or even discussion around the issue will affect the academic environment and peace of the institute is highly regressive, which goes against the ethos of the institute. As a social science institute, TISS has always fostered a culture of debate and dissent in the campus,” read their statement.

    The documentary holds Modi directly responsible for the riots and states that such large-scale mass murder or in other words, a pogrom, was not possible without steady help from the state.

    Modi government was quick to respond calling the documentary propaganda material ‘designed to push a particular discredited narrative.’

    The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said, “The documentary is a reflection on the agency that has made it. We think it is a propaganda piece designed to push a particular discredited narrative. The bias, lack of objectivity, and continuing colonial mindset are blatantly visible. Can’t dignify such a film.”

    As the documentary created interest and buzz on the internet, the Central Government banned its airing in the country as well as directed all social media platforms to remove any posts and links pertaining to the documentary, creating a protest call from netizens and Opposition parties.

    With the help of Rule 16 of the IT Rules, 2021 — formally known as the Information Technology (Intermediary Guidelines and Digital Media Ethics Code) Rules, 2021 — notified on February 25, 2021, describes the government’s power with regard to “Blocking of information in case of emergency”.

    The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting used emergency powers stating the documentary is based on a ‘colonial mindset’.



    [ad_2]
    #Mumbai #TISS #students #watch #BBCs #Modi #docu #defy #warning

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )