Tag: Anonymous

  • Court orders anonymous jury in civil suit over alleged rape by Trump

    Court orders anonymous jury in civil suit over alleged rape by Trump

    [ad_1]

    Neither Carroll nor Trump asked Kaplan, an appointee of President Bill Clinton, to block access to the jurors’ names, addresses and similar information. Kaplan raised the idea on his own and announced Thursday he will impose the secrecy despite objections from two news outlets: the Associated Press and the New York Daily News.

    The secrecy measure is typically reserved for criminal cases involving alleged mafia or drug kingpins. But Kaplan cited a series of alleged threats of violence by Trump, his public attacks on jurors in other cases and various reports describing Trump’s role in fomenting the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021, as well as his statement Saturday urging his followers to protest what he said was his looming arrest in a probe led by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg.

    “Mr. Trump’s quite recent reaction to what he perceived as an imminent threat of indictment by a grand jury sitting virtually next door to this Court was to encourage ‘protest’ and to urge people to ‘take our country back,’” Kaplan wrote in an 18-page decision. “That reaction reportedly has been perceived by some as incitement to violence. And it bears mention that Mr. Trump repeatedly has attacked courts, judges, various law enforcement officials and other public officials, and even individual jurors in other matters.”

    Even as he recounted a litany of provocative statements by Trump, Kaplan was careful to say that he was not accusing the former president of being responsible for incitement, only that the specter created by his statements could be seen as intimidating.

    “For purposes of this order, it matters not whether Mr. Trump incited violence in either a legal or a factual sense. The point is whether jurors will perceive themselves to be at risk,” the judge wrote.

    Kaplan noted that neither side in the case objected to the proposed jury-secrecy order, which instructs court personnel not to reveal the names, addresses or places of employment of prospective jurors or actual jurors empaneled in the trial, scheduled to start April 25 at a federal courthouse in lower Manhattan just a few blocks from where Bragg’s grand jury has been hearing evidence against Trump in a probe stemming from a payment of hush money in 2016 to porn star Stormy Daniels.

    Caroll’s lawsuit is the second she filed in connection with Trump’s alleged attack on her in a Bergdorf Goodman dressing room in 1995 or 1996. The first, filed in 2019, accused Trump of defamation for his statements denying her rape claim. The second suit, which Kaplan has ordered be tried first, was filed in November and seeks damages against Trump directly for the alleged rape. Caroll’s lawyers have said they couldn’t file that case until last year, after New York’s Legislature extended the statute of limitations for civil suits alleging sexual abuse or harassment.

    Trump’s attorneys argued that the extension was unconstitutional, but Kaplan disagreed.

    [ad_2]
    #Court #orders #anonymous #jury #civil #suit #alleged #rape #Trump
    ( With inputs from : www.politico.com )

  • Teachers’ scam: CBI files fresh FIR against anonymous beneficiaries

    Teachers’ scam: CBI files fresh FIR against anonymous beneficiaries

    [ad_1]

    Kolkata: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has filed a fresh FIR in West Bengal’s multi-crore recruitment scam of teaching and non-teaching staff against anonymous beneficiaries of the proceeds of the scam.

    CBI sources said that the fresh FIR has been filed following an instruction from the the bench of Justice Abhijit Gangopadhyay of Calcutta High Court.

    “Justice Gangopadhyay gave the instruction considering that names of more brains behind the scam are yet to surface. Hence, as per instruction, we have filed a fresh FIR in the matter naming anonymous beneficiaries,” a CBI source said.

    The source also said that it has been mentioned in the FIR that these anonymous beneficiaries include some insiders in the West Bengal School Service Commission (WBSSC).

    As per initial estimates of the CBI, a total of 16,500 individuals, which included both teaching and non- teaching staff, were appointed illegally against monetary considerations.

    During a hearing in the matter on March 2, Justice Gangopadhyay pointed out that in 2014, an entity named S. Basu Roy got the contract for evaluation of the answer sheets of candidates appearing for the written examination. He also said that that the charge is that there had been irregularities in the evaluation process where ineligible candidates were granted higher marks.

    Justice Gangopadhyay directed the CBI to investigate the reasons behind giving so many important assignments to that entity and why the said entity had access to the confidential section of the WBSSC.

    CBI sources said that all the members of the WBSSC’s the-then ad hoc committee responsible for giving these assignments to the said entity will be summoned and questioned by the central agency sleuths and if necessary, will be taken into custody.

    On March 2, Justice Gangopadhyay also directed the Enforcement Directorate (ED) to become part of the investigation on this count.

    [ad_2]
    #Teachers #scam #CBI #files #fresh #FIR #anonymous #beneficiaries

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • Turkey, Syria earthquake: Anonymous Pakistani donates $30 million

    Turkey, Syria earthquake: Anonymous Pakistani donates $30 million

    [ad_1]

    In a humanitarian spirit, an anonymous Pakistani businessman residing in The United States of America has donated 30 million US dollars (Rs 2,47,56,15,00) to help the victims of the terrible earthquake in Turkey and Syria that stuck on Friday leading to major loss of life and property.

    Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has praised the businessman whose name is not revealed

    “Deeply moved by the example of an anonymous Pakistani who walked into Turkish embassy in the US and donated $30 million for earthquake victims in Türkiye and Syria,” Shehbaz Sharif tweeted on Saturday.

    “These are such glorious acts of philanthropy that enable humanity to triumph over the seemingly insurmountable odds,” he added.

    In a video clip posted on Twitter, Yousuf Erim, a journalist at TRT World, expressed his appreciation for the move and said, “Afers, a Pakistani businessman entered the Turkish Embassy in the United States and donated $30 million himself anonymously. We don’t know who he is. His identity has not been revealed.”

    At dawn on February 6, an earthquake of 7.7 degrees struck southern Turkey and northern Syria, followed hours later by another with a magnitude of 7.6 and dozens of aftershocks, leaving huge losses of lives and property in both countries.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

    The death toll from the earthquake that struck Turkey and Syria has risen to more than 27,000, while the number of injured has reached more than 85,000, by Saturday evening.



    [ad_2]
    #Turkey #Syria #earthquake #Anonymous #Pakistani #donates #million

    ( With inputs from www.siasat.com )

  • As a police officer, I was asked to undermine an alleged rape victim – I wish I could say it was a one-off | Anonymous

    As a police officer, I was asked to undermine an alleged rape victim – I wish I could say it was a one-off | Anonymous

    [ad_1]

    “The thing is, Sarge, she’s already made one allegation of rape tonight so there’s no way I’m going out on my own to her house. I’ve got my own safety to think about.” The detective’s words left me momentarily speechless. It was the early hours of a busy weekend, and I was the CID night sergeant on duty. A local woman had been out with a new boyfriend and allowed him to walk her home but not to enter her flat. He had pushed her inside and raped her, then left. She had called 999 and reported the rape and was waiting for a police response.

    All our uniformed colleagues were tied up with the usual, “night-time economy” domestic abuse incidents, mental health crises and custody duties that fill response officers’ night shifts. And I’d had the temerity to ask an experienced male detective to make contact with the woman, visit her to reassure her that she was now safe and to begin to record evidence in his notebook while a female colleague travelled from the other side of the county to assist with forensic evidence recovery.

    I’d like to tell you that his reaction was a one-off, from a lifetime ago – but it was 2015, a year or two into the post-Jimmy Savile scandal era of training courses that instructed us to believe the victim and move heaven and earth to secure convictions. This was another depressing example of police attitudes to rape and sexual assault that have been widespread throughout my career. A culture in which managers’ first questions were never “Is the victim OK”, or “What does she need from us?” All too often, the question was whether or not I thought the victim was lying, and whether I could find enough evidence to suggest she was not credible, and thus justify a decision to avoid wasting resources on yet another unsolvable crime.

    Cases that meet the unofficial credibility test and are deemed to be “proper” rapes get a huge amount of resources thrown at them, as there is a chance of a good “collar” and a great story to tell at the next promotion board. The other cases often don’t even get a detective appointed to investigate, just a keen young copper on secondment to a crime unit.

    When questions are asked about David Carrick and about Sarah Everard’s killer, and the many many other offenders who either never reach the national news or just get away with it, I don’t see a pattern of cover-up and deceit that many outside the service perceive – instead, I see a level of unprofessionalism and incompetence that’s normal for all victims. That’s the scandal.

    I was involved in a rape investigation in which a female senior investigating officer directed me to pursue a line of inquiry solely intended to undermine the victim’s first account so that we could close down the investigation before command had to divert significant resources to it.

    That was on Wednesday 17 January 2023; the day after the news of Carrick and his scores of crimes against women broke. And nobody batted an eyelid.

    I’m about to retire after decades in the force, and I’ve tried my best. I really have. I hope I made a difference for a few people, in spite of the broken system I work within. I know there are good people working here still and the culture is changing, but it is happening at a glacial pace. Best of luck to the next generation, I hope to God they do better than us.

    • The writer is a serving police officer in a non-metropolitan English police force

    • Do you have an opinion on the issues raised in this article? If you would like to submit a response of up to 300 words by email to be considered for publication in our letters section, please click here.

    [ad_2]
    #police #officer #asked #undermine #alleged #rape #victim #oneoff #Anonymous
    ( With inputs from : www.theguardian.com )